The National Gallery of Umbria is housed on the second and third floors of Palazzo dei Priori, the town hall of Perugia.
The Palace, inspired by examples from Lombardy, consists of one large room which began being built at the end of the thirteenth century in front of the Fontana Maggiore.
The subsequent extension works, directed by architects Ambrogio Maitani, Galeazzo Alessi and Vincenzo Danti, incorporated a tower house, the Church of S. Severo and the house of Donna Dialdana which are still visible inside the Palace.
The collection of works begins with the collection by the Academy of Design in Perugia during the XVI century, and was thereafter increased through the suppression measures of the religious Corporations and through deposits of works by the municipal authorities.
At the end of the XIX century the Art Gallery was moved to the second floor of the Palace. In 1918 it was transferred to the State in order to become the National Gallery of Umbria. The current exhibition, located in 40 halls, dates back to the re-arrangement work carried out in 2006.