The building, once next to the palace of Enrico Scrovegni demolished in 1824, is located in the area called Giardini dell’ Arena, because of the presence of a large Roman amphitheatre.
The Chapel presents very clean architectural lines: it is a rectangular building with a single hall with a barrel vault, while the deep apse ends with a polygonal profile. An elegant three mullioned window (a window split vertically into three) characterises the brick facade, while on the south wall there are six slender single mullioned windows (single-opening windows).
The rigour of the exterior acts as a counterpoint to the extraordinary and emotional visual impact of the interior space, entirely covered with frescoes.
Today, the building can be accessed through a technological structure placed on the north side, built in order to fight the entry of air pollutants and to maintain stable environmental conditions for conserving the paintings